We have all been there. You know, that moment in your life when you look at yourself in the mirror and realize time has flown by. Then you begin to think back to how you got to this moment. This moment of where you are either living the dream you always dreamed of or you are underwhelmed with the path you were lead on. So what are you suppose to do? Should you be content with the way your life is? Be thankful for what you have and not wish for more? Is it okay to completely change the direction you're going on and move on to what challenges you and ignites your truest passion?! But WHAT are you passionate about and can it be more than one thing?!
My mind is constantly running with one idea after the next. I begin my day with usually wanting to write something, then I want to paint, then I need to go to my day job, I have fun at my day job and imagine doing that for a living, then I come home and want to be a runner, or a swimmer, then I want to write again and then I realize I didn't eat, so I want to cook, I'm a horrible cook, but I would love to be a food critic, then I notice I have a day off coming up, so I want to getaway, then I think of going on a long vacation and then I want to travel some more because of course I want to be a travel writer. And now I have created the longest run-on sentence.
So if you are going through the same career crisis and have no idea how to control all of your ideas, follow these five steps:
1. Drink wine or if you cannot partake in a light alcoholic beverage, eat chocolate while you make a list of everything you want to do. Or just make a list. Then go for a walk so you don't feel guilty for indulging and also for being stressed out with your list.
2. Read, research and picture yourself in what will make you happy when you wake up in the morning and what will put you to sleep content at night.
3. Try to manage your time from your day job/school to your passionate priorities. The biggest waste of time is the debate you constantly have with yourself, telling yourself you don't have time to do things.
4. Take a risk and see what is out there! Sometimes being locked up in your apartment can really make you lose your mind! Get outside for some fresh air and find a different place to get a new perspective.
5. Just do it! The biggest critic you will have in your life is yourself. Do not blame others for not being able to live out your dreams or for not having the confidence to follow them. You never know where that first step will take you.
If this made any sense, you're welcome. If it did not, please don't judge. Just laugh and be thankful you had something to read for your enjoyment.