I will be writing on MODA OTERO weekly to share advice on careers, relationships and everyday situations that seem to get the best of us!
My first topic is the phrase, "Alpha Female". What is an alpha female and have you been called one before?
I recently was classified as one and I couldn't help but to Google exactly what an "alpha female" was. In my research I found that some notable alpha females are: Oprah Winfrey, Hilary Clinton, and even my idol...Anna Wintour.
The top five characteristics of an alpha female are:
1. "She is feminine, highly intelligent and supremely and utter confident - and KNOWS it. She is not hesitant in using those attributes to achieve her ends. "
2. "She is comfortable with power. Power means being in charge of one's destiny and OWNING one's life. It also means BEING THERE for others and making the world a much better place for humankind."
* The alpha female is supreme among other females. Other females often look to the alpha female for leadership. However, there are some females who feel threatened by the alpha female because this female tolerates no nonsense and does not believe in gameplaying and upmanship.
3."She is never embarrassed to ask for what she wants. She believes that all right thinking people should never be hesitant regarding having their desires and wants met. To her, you should be able to be responsible for you own life and take care of yourself. "
4. "She believes in having a career to establish her self-worth and independence."
5. "She does not believe in excuses, complaining and whining."
As you go through life of self discovery and finding your place in a relationship or in the workplace. The best advice I would give is to be yourself! An alpha female is exactly that and something I became without knowing. Years ago when I was unhappy, I woke up one morning and decided to stop complaining and whining about my present and work harder to build my future. This lead me to have this positive attitude where I believe I can achieve whatever I set my mind on as long as I stay true to myself, I take care of myself and I am there for my family, friends, and others.
You really have to learn to manage yourself before you manage others. Look at yourself in the mirror and see if you are happy. If you are not, think about what you can change for the better. Life is all about taking risks and if you fail, try again...and again.
Oprah Winfrey once said, "Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. This is your moment. Own it."
So do you think you're an "aplha female"? Share anymore characteristics YOU found through your research and also in your life experiences.
For more information on Dress for Success and Y.E.S!, head over to my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/YESofgreaterorlando and email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jessica Otero, MODA OTERO
President of Y.E.S!